Saturday 2 April 2011

No April Fools



Quick note as its well past midnight - the northern lights made a brief appearance tonight over the skies of Pelly Crossing, Yukon.  Shortly before midnight I decided to peak outside my window to see if there was an unexpected celestial display.  Thankfully there was.  I quickly gathered my camera, tripod, cable release and memory card and bolted outdoors to capture the tail end of the show. Tonight's temperature was a balmy +3 oC (don't miss those -45 degree nights).

I was a bit spooked of heading out too far as the grizzlies have now started to emerge from their winter dens - I don't relish the thought of bumping into them in the middle of the night.

Not the best shots tonight as the street lights interfered with my images. 

There won't be too many more nights like tonight as the aurora are quickly giving way to the midnight sun which will grace our northern skies till August.

If you missed the shots from the spectacular March display be sure to click on March archives found on right hand side of this page.

Good night!  
Photo specs:  1200ASA, f/3.2 (Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8), 15 sec exposure (Nikon D700)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop me a line.