Saturday 5 March 2011

Yukon Winter Driving 101


I finally spotted and photographed the northern lights earlier in the week - my first since leaving Baffin Island a year ago - and what a show it was!

Thick curtains of green, yellow and the occasional splash of pink danced across the night sky from one horizon to the other.  An unexpected solar wind storm earlier in the day triggered the auroral display.  Spaceweather.com had warned of the potential of an auroral storm so I prepared my camera gear in advance.  Shortly before 11pm the northern lights made their appearance over Pelly Crossing.  I borrowed a friends car and drove down the Klondike Hwy away from town and its interfering 'city lights' and wood smoke. 

A few minutes later I arrived at a bend in the hwy that offered a superb view of the aurora unfolding overhead.  In true Claus fashion I turned off the engine to the car completely ignoring the fact it was - 40 degrees outside (I didn't want the headlights to interfere with my image).  I shouldn't have been surprised when I tried to start the car again some twenty minutes later.  No luck!  With camera gear and tripod in hand I had no choice but to walk the 4km back into town. Thankfully the grizzlies are asleep for the winter and I was dressed warmly for the excursion.  

The RCMP helped me boost the car the following afternoon.


The things we photographers do to get our images.


Hope all is well in your corner of the world.


Cheers,
Claus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop me a line.