Sunday 3 June 2012

Wishing for clear skies for Tuesday

Sunset over Cape Cod (August, 2011)

From the notes of Edmund Halley (noted astronomer who 'discovered' Halley's comet) on the 1761 transit of Venus - he knew then that he would not be around to witness this celestial spectacle.  

I recommend it therefore again and again to those curious astronomers who (when I am dead) will have an opportunity of observing these things, that they would remember this my admonition, and diligently apply themselves with all their might in making this observation, and I earnestly wish them all the imaginable success:  in the first place, that they may not by the unseasonable obscurity of a cloudy sky be deprived of this most desirable sight, and then, that having ascertained with more exactness the magnitudes of the planetary orbits, it may rebound to their immortal fame and glory
Edmund Halley, 1716

Here's hoping for clear skies for Tuesday's (or Wednesday, for my European and Central Asian mates) transit of Venus.  The next transit will occur on December 11, 2117.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop me a line.