Thursday 31 May 2012

In anticipation of Tuesday's Transit of Venus

The sun as viewed through the D300 and 300mm lens with
homemade solar filter attached


Astronomers and photographers around the world have been fine tuning their photography skills in anticipation of Tuesday's historical Transit of Venus.  Depending on where in the world you live, Venus will 'move' across the sun between June 5th and June 6th.  With proper solar glasses (a pair was included in the most recent issue of SkyNews magazine) you will be able to see the black disk of Venus make its way across the sun.  How neat! 

Yukoner's will see the transit begin at 15:30 and end shortly after 21:30 on Tuesday, June 5th.  This celestial show will not occur again until Dec 11,  2117 (the last Transit of Venus was in 2004, and prior to that, in 1882).

Last night I tried my hands, for the first time I might add, at solar photography.  I had cut out one of the solar filters found on the solar goggles and taped it to the removable filter on the Nikkor 300 f/2.8 telephoto lens.  With lens attached to the Nikon D300 camera, and firmly set on a tripod (with cable release), I aimed towards the sun.  Within seconds it was obvious my homemade solar lens was a success.  See camera settings below.

Now, if we can only pray for clear skies for Tuesday - somehow,  I don't think many of us will be around to see this show again in 2117!

Don't forget about Monday's partial eclipse of the moon!!

I'll post more images of my set up shortly with images from the Transit posted on Tuesday.

Good night from the sunny Yukon!
Cheers,
Claus

More info on Tuesday's transit can be found on Transit of Venus website (click on link)

Camera settings:  Manual focus for both camera and lens;  Vibration Reduction ON,  ISO 250 at f/5.6,  1/125th of a second.  Cable release

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop me a line.