Tuesday 31 May 2011

Spring, spring, glorious spring!

Reflections in Kathleen Lake, Kluane National Park

Reflections in Kathleen Lake, Kluane National Park

Bridge over Canyon Creek - notice high water level

Typical scene along the Alaska Hwy

Good morning from Whitehorse, Yukon!

Spring, spring, glorious spring!  I'm still in awe as I watch the Yukon transform from a lifeless brown landscape into a sea of lush green.  Around every tree or in every marsh scores of song birds, buzzing insects and flowering plants bask in the warm rays of the Yukon sun.  Hard to believe that less than two months ago were were knee-deep in snow and enduring minus 40 degree temps.  Thank God those days are over with (for now).

As you can image I've been outdoors enjoying the changes this new season brings.  I've spent a great deal of time touring the Territory photographing the arrival of the migratory birds, the colours of spring and the mammals as they forage on the explosion of new growth.  So many new photos - very little time to post process them (I guess that's a project for next winter).  

Last weekend I drove westwards along the Alaska Hwy to Kluane National Park (175km from Whitehorse).  Sadly there was no wildlife to photograph but my dinner stop at Kathleen Lake made the long drive worthwhile.  I arrived in time to be serenaded by the tingling of the candle ice as the gentle breeze blew the fragmented ice onto the rocky shores.  Wow, how those sounds sent goosebumps running down my spine.  

Join me in the coming days as I share images and stories from our May-long weekend road trip to Haines, Alaska - a trip filled with bald eagles, black bears, moose, and costal rain forests.  

Hope you are enjoying life in your corner of the world.

Cheers,
Claus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop me a line.